2007-09-07

Gustar -- you're a tricky one.

Reading a blog post, I stumbled upon this:

No me suelen gustar estas combinaciones.

I'm not used to liking...

From an English speaking mindset, this is a really tough construction. It seems especially backwards since it appears to say that estas combinaciones have the habit. Odd, indeed. As I say a lot, sometimes it's best just to go with it. I doubt I would have come up with this on my own.

If it's any consolation to you, Spanish learner, my teacher has messed up things using gustar before. It's also been the root of a few debates.

Similarly:

Creo que te va a gustar la pelicula.

2 comments:

Berenjeno said...

That is a tricky verb indeed: the object (or patient, if you´r into grammar terms) becomes the subject, while the agent who likes becomes the indirect object.

And yes, even we native speakers mess it up sometimes.

dwardu said...

In English the person likes the object, whereas in Spanish the object pleases the person.