2007-08-28

Antes de (que)...

If you're expressing what happened before or after something, it can be straightforward or a big mess. It all depends on whether it's understood who's doing the preceding or following action. If it's understood, it's easy:

Tengo que ponerme ropa antes de ir al cine.

If it's not understood who's doing the action, you're in subjuctive town, brother. And you have to add que.

Antes de que comience a caminar el bebé, los padres deberían limpiar el piso.

Aprendimos el castellano despues de que ella aprendiera frances.

Good luck and god-speed with this one.


1 comment:

Dana Law said...

Discovery,
I wanted to thank you for your thoughtful and practical response to my "No creo que ella les dé ayuda a los estudiantes." phrase of the day.
It is the subjuntive "mood." Didn't know that.
Subscribed to your language musings. You are a deep thinker Discovery. I think you have a quick and retentive brain. Not to say you haven't worked hard but having a good mind helps a lot. Your writing is quite thoughtful. Clear prose to boot.
I have learned the Spanish I know by being a parrot. Since I can barely remember anything for an extended period it is a fragile system. I never studied it in school. Fortunately I have no fear of speaking the language. Which means blithely making mistakes.
Keep up the work you have done. It is quite helpful.
Sincerely,
Dana Law
Spanish Phrase of the Day