2007-08-18

What she said...

Being a good story teller is hard. Being a good story teller in a second language? Well that's gonna be even harder. One hard part about it is getting all the verb tenses right when expressing what someone else has said. Here's a couple of examples to get you going:

Maria said: "Voy al supermercado."
I tell Miguel: "Maria me dijo que iba al supermercado."

Maria said: "Él quiere que yo sea su novia."
Later, I say back to Maria: "Me dijiste que él queria que fueras su novia."

And it gets more complicated:

Maria said: "Ayer he comido un montón de carne."
I tell Miguel: "Maria me dijo que había comido un montón de carne el dia anterior."

And even more so when someone in the past says something about the future:

Maria said: "El viernes que viene habré trabajado 60 horas en este proyecto."
I tell Miguel: "Maria me ha dicho que el viernes siguente habría trabajado 60 horas en su proyecto."

There are a few references for indirect speech online, but none that I've found are that useful. I have a handy chart, but it's not online. I'll reproduce it soon for your studying pleasure.

1 comment:

Dana Law said...

Thank you for the links to Spanish Learning. I especially like Rimbombante.
I am subscribing to your feed.
Dana Law
Spanish Phrase of the Day